Whoa, love these diagrams by the EFF for explaining encrypted SNI (server name indication):
Right wingers at work 2/2
...and point out that it's simply a stalling tactic because he *knows* our healthcare is trash.
But it doesn't end--it's just one lie after another, and there's only so many subtle ways to say to someone "you're very ignorant and susceptible to American propaganda."
But my favorite one was when I pointed out how many pharmaceutical companies have made a killing using public-funded research to create their products.
Then they turn around and claim they have exorbitantly high costs due to "research," ignoring their direct and indirect taxpayer subsidies.
His response: "well, Post did the same thing to Kellogg: he stole the recipe for Grape Nuts from him and made a killing."
Again, very little relevancy (people aren't dying from overpriced cereal nor subsidizing its creation), but it makes someone pause and thus gets them on their heels.
But yeah, working people.defending pharmaceutical billionaires. This country is an absolute fucking nightmare.
Amazon, ICE, union action++
Whole foods workers demand Amazon stop working with ICE.
Yes! You can't fight fascism without fighting capitalism, and unions are essential for that.
@ilovecomputers wait this is literally a metal gear rising revengeance quote tho
"What about all the good things war has done for us? Why don't we ever hear speeches about that? Jobs, technology, a common purpose... All we're sayin' is... GIVE WAR A CHANCE!"
people seem to be having trouble with this so i will use an analogy.
let's say you have a favorite hat, that has a big X symbol on it. now, for some reason unrelated to you or your motivations, a group of fascists start using this symbol to represent themselves.
you're trying to get into a bar, and the bar has decided that symbols of this particular sort are not welcome at the establishment.
some surprising sustainability
* Growing almonds for almond milk damages ecosystems and uses a *lot* of water. 80% of the world's almonds come from California, where severe droughts can be a problem
* Soy farming drives deforestation in South America. Tofu can have twice the carbon footprint of chicken
* Fish populations are dynamic. Sustainable fishing leaves land open for reforestation
* Bioplastics are not necessarily better than recyclable plastics like PET
* Industrial cooking is more efficient than home cooking. Tinned tomatoes, chick peas, etc can be a good option
* Cling film is plastic, and plastic is not good. But if you use it carefully, you can prevent food waste, which is worse. Beeswax wrapping is ideal
* Leather can last over a decade, and is biodegradable. Fake leather is made from short lived plastic
* Cotton production is energy intensive. A cotton bag needs to be used 149 times to be more carbon efficient than plastic. Get a good one. Use it often
what i dont understand is the sheer rage about this. but ive spent... 5 years thinking about gamer rage and i dont think there is any point to it at all anymore. it will take whatever shape it needs to in order to exist. the target, the logic, none of that matters, all that matters is that there is something to be mad about.
Nation-states and borders are bad
Borders are inherently violent. They are imaginary lines that give us permission to enact violence on the Other while claiming that we are in the right or only protecting ourselves.
Nation-states are formed by and give rise to Nationalism which is also about enacting violence against anything which is Other.
All of these xenophobic, racist talking points about immigrants and "they're ruining our country" could not exist without borders and nation-states.
According to Cloudflare roughly 18% of HTTPS connections are currently being intercepted (man-in-the-middle):
○> Traversing the web for interesting ideas <○
social.bau-ha.us is your friendly neighbourhood Mastodon instance!
Proudly presented by Maschinenraum Weimar .
This is a small instance with a focus on community. Feel free to join, but please be aware that there are some rules (in short: don't be a bunghole. Check the link for our definition of "being a bunghole".).
Primary languages are German and English.
Be excellent to each other! (J.W.v.Goethe, 1932) [[Citation needed]]